Credit card authorization is an approval that the customer has sufficient funds on their card to complete a transaction. When a customer makes a purchase using a credit or debit card, a request is made to the card issuer to obtain approval to process the transaction. This process is referred to as authorization. The purpose of this authorization is to create a pending transaction that reserves a portion of the customer’s available credit, though the transactions themselves are not fully processed.
Setup ‘Auth Only’ for Authorize.net
- To enable the authorization only feature, contact our support team.
Note: The “Authorization Only” feature is available with Authorize.net integration, and can be used in the Easy InnKeeping billing screen.
- In the “Billing Screen” of Quick Reservation and Full Reservation screen, enter the following details of the credit card, authorize the amount and click on the “Auth Only” button.
- A separate box for authorization-only will display. The authorized-only amount will be held for 30 days. After 30 days, the amount will be voided automatically and released to the cardholder’s account. The expiry date can be viewed on “Authorize Expired On”. The Authorized-Only amount will not get added to the billing screen until it has been captured.
- To process the “Authorized-Only” amount, click on the “Capture”
- Enter the amount to be processed and click on the “OK” button. You can also process the partial amount so the remaining amount will be released to the card holder’s account.
- The processed amount be added as a transaction to the billing row.
- To return the Authorized-Only amount to the cardholder, click on the “Void” It will be shown under “Return Amount” and will show returned date in “Authorize Expired On”.